Monday, December 04, 2006

My father came to Japan about a week ago

And it was awesome. It was a vacation I sorely

He'd been planning the trip for some time and I had packed the week with friends to meet and things to do. However, things got off to a little bit of a rocky start with some time zone trouble. Also, I didn't read his itinerary closely enough. So Wednesday (the 8th!) found me growing increasingly nervous as I waited for his plane to arrive. "Goddamit, where is he? The plane got here an hour ago." Got a day to relax in Osaka and see Dan and Ed. The plane came in f'reals on Thursday after which father went promptly to bed.
With morning came breakfast at the hotel followed by a zip through Namba. Bic Camera is fucking awesome. I honestly don't know why they're aren't nine story electronics stores in America. Seriously. Shopping accomplished, we hopped on the shinkansen and mad our way to Ube, to start the trip proper.
I had to show my father who I associated with. I introduced my father to all of my friends here, or at least my close friends. The Itous, who run my favorite sushi shop and have essentially adopted me, Kiyoka and Hiroki, Tomohiro, who owns a favorite bar of mine and lives in my building, Daisuke, and of course the whole gamut of my coworkers.
I had to show my father where I lived. We went to Tokiwa Park. We went to Nagato. We went to Fuji Grand. We went to Hagi. And, of course we went to Rurikoji. There we had some of the best guides ever. Two fifth graders from the elementary school in the neighborhood. They were part of a volunteer brigade and the "troop leader," as I suppose the term would be, followed us around. Every time he tried to help, one of the guides would shush him and say something along the lines of "I'm doing it!"
I had to show my father what I eat. Soba on a rooftile, sushi, tempura, soba in a basket, sashimi, tempura, nikuman and fish jerky. Hopefully he thinks I eat that well all the time.
I saw him off at the airport on the 15th. But any sadness at his departure wore off on the trip home. It took me six and a half hours from airport to front door. I won't bother you with the details save to say my transfer to the Ube line took an hour and a quarter.

I will say though, I hadn't really felt homesick until he came.

No comments:

Post a Comment