Thursday, November 10, 2005

Tokiwa-ike



Went to lake Tokiwa and the adjoining park today with Lindsay, one of my coworkers. We biked out there and then around the lake. It's very beautiful out there. It's a fairly large lake and park, the land was donated by the local chemical company, I think it's man made, but I'm not positive. The grounds around the lake are littered with scultptures and picnic areas, and there are also paddleboats for rent, but only during the summer, so we could not paddle around the lake. Also included in the lake are a shinto shrine, suspension bridge and a small amusement park. Or, as the city website puts it, "various riding excitement", this includes a flume ride, roller coaster, ferris wheel and I think one or two other things. Seems interesting enough to do once, when it gets nicer out; they didn't appear to be running right now anyway. The city website also mentions "small zoo", I didn't see it while I was there, but I asked my coworkers, and apparently it's some monkeys. And goats. On an island living in a concrete pirate ship. Very small, depressing zoo. Also included in the park are huge pelicans (that choose to live there). They are in fact disturbingly large. I was afraid of them.However, shortly after this picture was taken I observed a man bring his baby over to the pelicans, to "say hello" or some such apparently. Speaking of saying hello, the school kids well always yell "Harro!" at me or my coworkers (collectively, "them white folks" or gaijin) and "Shi yuu!" as we leave. Unless they are younger, then it is a coin toss between "Harro!" and running away.

3 comments:

  1. I get that too, I find it a little annoying, like "you are the foreign one, i will signal this with my greeting you even though I cant communicate with you" or something, maybe im too up tight.
    sorry for the lack of stalking, i been busy doing nothing hehee your blog rocks yo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mining museum I mentioned further up is just to the right of where you took the photo of you or your friend on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.city.ube.yamaguchi.jp/english/birdflu.html
    I was clicking around the Ube web site and found these helpful tips for interacting with birds, in case you run up against these pelicans again. Don't forget to gargle!

    ReplyDelete