Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Things you find out in airplanes

I'm in Tokyo now. As the plane left Ube it banked to the left. Much more sharply than I'm used to - that the airport faces southwest and the plane must make a one hundred and eighty degree turn. From the relatively oblique angle of the takeoff I had seen some light patches in the water surrounded by buoys. Oyster farms perhaps.
Then the plane banked and I got a clearer view. Acres and acres of seaweed farms. Green sheets the size of boats laid out flat on the ocean's surface. Perhaps I shouldn't have been as surprised as I am, it has to come from somewhere. I guess I always thought it was harvested wild like mushrooms.
I saw more and more of these farms as we flex northwards. None were as stunning as those just off the coast near Kusae station in Ube. Many were neighbors to factories, millions of gallons of mud and, presumably, other unsavory elements washing brown over the green seaweed creating a 1970s living room in the ocean.
The next time I eat makizusi I will be glad to live in Ube.

No comments:

Post a Comment