Saturday, December 30, 2006

It's like opposite land over here

As I don't live in a cave, I've been aware that of late restrictions of several natures have been enacted regarding liquids on airplanes. Though this began in England these things have a way of spreading quickly.
Recently I recieved a bottle of Mao (魔王 or "Satan"), a imo (sweet potato) shochu of considerable, if not extreme, rarity and quality. Naturally I brought it with me to Tokyo. It practically had "New Year's written on it. Or at least it would if all the space wasn't taken up with "Prince of Darkness."
To avoid any trouble with airport security on my way to Tokyo I checked my one bag, shochu buried deeply and safely inside.
My friend, Maiko, Hajime and Kimie's younger daughter, was working the counter. We had a short conversation as my bag went through the prescreening for checked baggage.
Security came over with my bag and said something to her.
She turns to me and says, in Japanese, "Um, do you have a bottle in your bag?" I answered yes and we had to dig it out. They gave me a bag for it. I wasn't allowed to check liquids. They made me carry-on my bottle.

1 comment:

  1. you know something about the NAME of your drink might have freaked them out, no? hehehe and isnt the rule that you cant take liquids ON with you so isnt it the opposite so this has nothing to do with what the rules are in the states? no?

    ReplyDelete