Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Say that you'll work for free and you can do anything

I just got back from the local radio station KiRaRa FM; I had stopped in a week and a half previously to ask about volunteer opportunities; we discussed various things that I could do, promos, working the board or helping with their sattelite broadcasts at Fuji Grand, the mall where I work. In the end, I left my name and phone number and they said they'd call me. Yesterday, I was just about to stop by the office to see how things were progressing and whether or not there would be any opportunities when they called me. It was an inopportune time as I was just getting my pants on in preparation for work (I've learned that pants are key to business success). But, with some difficulty, we arranged for a meeting today; I say with some difficulty because I struggle with business Japanese anyway, and trying to communicate over the phone while getting dressed just makes it more difficult.
I showed up at the station's office today thinking that we would just be doing more discussion about when I could volunteer and what I could do, but they tossed me in the studio to record a promo: "Rider's Cafe II, Speakeasy. Presented by Ube Bike." I was thrilled, but a little confused. Ms. Coppola must have done her resarch well; I felt like I was in Lost in Translation. After I would read it once, they would say something along the lines of "High tension! Low voice!" or "High tension! Tanoshiku (having fun)!" Eventually, we got it all sorted out, they were happy with the work and called it a wrap. On my way out, to my surprise, they presented me with a music gift certificate. I hope I can figure out what store it's for.

5 comments:

  1. You are slowly becoming Ube's famed gaijin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. go mr. gaijin go!
    thats cool man, you gunna be faaamous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once appeared on that show, Riders' Cafe. The presenter is a nice bloke whose family owns the Ube Bike, motorcycle store. I was lured in to talk about Paul McCartney as I thought it was a music show. But it basically only features ads for the shop, credit for buying a bike and insurance for when you've got one. They did play two tunes by Macca and asked me to tell them something Japanese people didn't know about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, I was wondering what the show was about. I trust you were able to enlighten the Japanese public about Sir Paul?

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I got to say is awesome. "big hit, happy body"

    ReplyDelete