Friday, January 13, 2006

Civil servants are an exercise in confusion

The gas man came today. Rang the bell and got me out of bed, as is wont to happen when the Japanese world needs me to sign something or recieve something. He was so polite that I couldn't understand that he wanted in the house at first, so I tried to nod my way out of it and see if he would go away and let me go back to sleep. That didn't work. Eventually we figured out what was going on and he came in and tested all the gas appliances. After he ensured that they all worked he handed me a sheet with pictures of the types of apliances that might be powered by gas with the ones present checked off. "You have a stove, a heater and a water heater." I indicated that I was happy to be informed of this and he asked for my number because they didn't have one recorded on the form. I mentioned that I had a cell phone and he lept at the opportunity to record a number, I was a little hesitant because I dont know how long I'm going to be in Ube and I don't want Yamaguci gas calling me for the next several years. But, I couldn't really talk my way out of it, so perhaps I'm due to become the next Sam Bawden. Hoping (against hope I might add) that maybe additional information could get him to change the form, I offered him the number of the Osaka Nova head office. Showing him a sheet of paper with the information on it, he surprised me by taking out the company camera and asking if he could take a picture of it. After snapping that picture, he asked what time I started work at Nova, I directed him to my schedule which I keep on the wall (gotta have the memory failsafe device), and he again asked to take a picture. Having completed his bureaucratic tourism, he thanked me and left.

5 comments:

  1. Ummm... Are you sure he really was a gas guy and not some random gay Japanese man who has developed a crush on you? Maybe the picture sheet was places he would like to do it on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. neonvirus.com says... hey who is the other anonymous user? its gunna be confused with me.. yo anonymous users you gotta sign your name so we knows who you ares. yo yo

    evan, that picture taking thing was creepy. why the hell they do that? creepydelic

    ReplyDelete
  3. neonvirus.com says... PS oh yeah i forgot to say in my other post.. dang dude, you told me to let guest posts in my learning japanese blog and you havent added shizzat, if u keeps that up i gunna take off the feature yo!! hehehe :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fairly sure it wasn't a random gay dude, as I have his official meishi and brouchures from the gas company he left behind. Although . . .it could be part of an elaborate ruse. And Dansen, a) you ever run into any Japanese gas men like that? and b)if someone wants to be anonymous, let 'em, they got their reasons

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe he was a spy. Don't they take pictures of documents? Better yet, maybe he was a tourist masquerading as a gas man and he wanted to document his journey. You guys sure are comfortable in your anonymity.

    ReplyDelete