Tuesday, October 10, 2006

They're making me turn Japanese. Seriously.

So, the other day I went out for dinner with my friends Ryousuke and Kensuke. They live in Tokyo now. Fuckers. Anyway, we were meeting some girls they knew so the guys were discussing the best way to introduce me.
First, Ryousuke said to me, "Ok, when we get to the restaurant, you can't speak any Japanese, ok?"
But, before I could respond Kensuke jumps in, "I've got a better idea! You're Japanese!"
We decide that my name would be Beku Eba, that I came from Mine (a small city just north of Ube) and that my father was a vegetable shop owner. They taught me some old fashioned Japanese, language that Japanese people know but don't use. That way, I'd sound more Japanese - with the added bonus of sounding more ridiculous.
We got to the restaurant and Ryousuke introduced me as planned, adding, "When I first met him I thought he was half! But he's really Japanese!" The girls grilled me for a while, trying to find a chink in my argument.
"What's your father's name?"
"Kazuo"
"Your mother's?"
"Hideko"
"Where do you live?"
"Ube"
"Why not in Mine with your parents?"
"There's no work there, I've got a part time job at a supermarket and I'm looking for a company job now. That's why I'm wearing a suit." (in reality I had just come from work)
Ryousuke and Kensuke backed me up, "He just has a funny accent cause he's from the country. They talk like that there. Really. I mean I thought he was half when I met him but . . ."
Oddly enough they bought it. After about fifteen minutes we told them I wasn't Japanese and we all had a good laugh.
The food was good too. Korean restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. evan you are a funny duck, and your friends are messed up hehehe funny story, keep it up yo!

    ReplyDelete