Friday, October 27, 2006

Debt is pretty awesome, if they let you have it

Recently, and this may come as a shock to you, I've had some internet trouble. In order to rectify said trouble I had to purchase a new modem at the local DeoDeo. After the clerk, a nice, if slightly disinterested woman rang up my purchase she asked if I had a DeoDeo card. I said no, considered the issue briefly and thought that a point card would be just the thing. After all, I shopped at the store at a not infrequent basis; it was my go to place for lightbulbs and electric carpets.
This request for a card was apparently the conversational opener she was looking for. Her eyes lit up and she annouced, "I love you!" Slightly confused, I followed her over to the side where she and her coworker alternated complimenting me on various things while I filled in the paperwork. After I wrote my name she switched from "I love you!" to "I love Evan!" About halfway through, I began to think that the paperwork was a little long for a point card application. It was at that point that I was asked, "Visa かMasterdcardがほしいですか?"
I balked, wondering what I had gotten myself into, briefly, I tried to think of ways in which I could extricate myself from this situation. Then, the shock wore off and I remembered that I had been considering getting a credit card anyway and had two cards in America, moreover it appeared that DeoDeo had a good rewards program.
I forged ahead.
And they forged behind me on my way out the store. "You ride a bicycle? That's so cool!" "I love Evan!" "Thank you!" "You've got your lunch in the bike basket too?" "Thank you!"
A week or so later, I popped in to clear up a problem I had mailing the form and, of course, to buy some lightbulbs. You can never have too many lightbulbs. The clerk remembered me from before, helped me pick out my bulbs, took care of my paperwork and announced that I was looking great today. She also told me that apparently they were so happy I signed up for a card everyone at the store went out drinking that night. Then she declared herself my "DeoDeo Friend" and pledged to help me personally when I came to the store from there on out.
Some days later, I recieved a letter from the company. Not sure what it said, I took it to work and during a down time I asked for help from one of the Japanese staff. She told me that I had been declined. No reason was given. Various reasons were speculated upon. I'm not Japanese. I've been in Japan under a year. I'm not Japanese. Maybe it's a high-level card? But, she also pointed out, and I'd have to admit that she's correct, I am, in fact, not Japanese.
Today, I returned to the DeoDeo in search of a power strip. Apparently, and this was news to me, you can have too many lightbulbs. It was with some trepadation that I approached the store. Would they ask about the card? Do I say I was rejected? And so forth. I carried the rejection letter with me. Just in case. Seemed like the easiest way to explain.
As I entered some of the store the clerks recognized me, shouted "Evan!" and ran towards me, my "DeoDeo friend" knocking over a display on her way. When we got close enough the all looked sad and commented on the card. "You couldn't get the card!" "How could this have happened?" "Why?" I said, I didn't know and they sighed as if to say, "That darn credit institution." Then, they told me how handsome I was, helped me find a surge protector and at the register pointed out that I could get a regular, non-credit, point card, "darling." I filled in the form for the point card. "Isn't it awesome that he can write in Japanese?" Left the store. "You walked? Great!" And walked home, baffled.

2 comments:

  1. justwanted to say i read all your new blogs... interesting stuff... and the i love you people are funny/creepy!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dude. Comments brighten the day, etc. I'm not done with the new blogs yet. Got some pics and stuff for next week.

    ReplyDelete