Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Pleasant Visit

About a week ago, I was able to meet my friend Akko. I met her through several degrees of seperation, and as she leaves in Tokyo, we have been on a correspondence basis until now. She and her friend Fumi had a weekend free and as they'd never been to Chugoku or Kyushu, they came down to visit. We planned some in the weeks before, putting no strenuous effort towards it however. In the end they decided that they wanted to see Akiyoshido while in Yamguchi. After a pleasant, and filling lunch at my favorite lunch joint in Ube. In Ube-chuo, just around the corner from Sukiya and in a basement. Seven hundred yen for a lunch you can't finish is always a good deal.
Sated, we boarded the train and then the bus that would take us to Akiyoshido. It was an enjoyable afternoon of spelunking and swapping stories of mutual friends. We boarded the last bus back. Akko and I chatted lazily, looking at the scenery. Fumi slept. The afternoon ended as we pulled into Shin-Yamaguchi station. We perused the pictures we took that day and waitied for the train.
Dinner that night was above par. We went to one of my favorite izakaya, a fish only place called Burinosuke. We had stone grilled octopus, sea snail, sashimi, sea snail and oysters. Fumi and Akko were stunned at the low prices and good tastes. Take that Tokyo. Drinks at Bigi followed of course.
I had to wake up early to fucking go to work though. I don't care for the early shift, but I had a pleasant chat with Akko and Fumi in the morning. I said goodbye, hopped on my bicycle and went to work, as they left for Hakata in search of ramen and perhaps adventures. Ramen fueled adventures?
I was jealous.

4 comments:

  1. those cave pictures brought back memories of hanging out with you dood... (is it just me or did your pictures turn out better this time around? actually can see some of the inside of the caves etc) your friend seems nice, glad you had fun ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures were better this time around because I totally brough my tripod this time. δΈ‰θ„šεŠ›!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you. Yes it was a nice trip to Ube. Fumi and I had a wicked time there. Many thanks to that.

    Awwww the FOOOOOOD. That was my main part of the trip by the way.

    I am getting hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Akko! I too had a 'wicked time' as the kids are calling it. The food was indeed aweome, but did it overshadow my AWESOME PRESCENCE? I think not. Or whatever.

    ReplyDelete