Monday, October 31, 2005

Hakata today, Hiroshima tomorrow

I had orientation today in Hakata, and my coworkers certainly did not lie to me. It was very boring. An example: As part of our information packet, we were given a Q&A sheet, with a list of questions about information provided in our employee handbook. The presenters divided the seven of us into small groups and assigned each group a few of the questions and we were to research them in the handbook and present back to the group. While a fairly aggravating waste of time, there were some useful things presented, like more detailed information on getting bank accounts and tax procedures, as well as a brief introduction to the teaching format. I got my schedule as well, Thursday and Friday off.
I found out there that I'm training in Hiroshima and being put up in a hotel there for the three days. Perhaps it'll be nice, but right now it seems more of an inconvenience than anything else. I don't know anyone in Hiroshima, the travel time prevents me from getting a bank account, alien registration certificate and mobile phone until Friday and I have to pack three days of business clothes. But I supose I have to make the best of it. Although, I won't have too much time for sightseeing or going out, I'll try and do some of both; I'd love to see the Peace Park. Speaking of Hiroshima, and the Peace Park, I met a Japanese guy at a bar a couple nights ago smoking Lucky Strikes. And he said that he heard they were named that because the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima was a 'Lucky Strike'. I think foreign urban legends are much more fascinating than the homegrown variety, but maybe only because we haven't heard them thousands of times.
In other news, I bought a bike. Blue, kind of looks like the old Schwinn Cruisers, but not quite, and lighter. A lot lighter. It's got a basket, three speeds, wheel lock and light. ¥12,000 used with new seat, brakes, shifters, grips and tires. A steal. I was waiting to write about this until I got a camera so I could include a picture, but that can wait I guess. What can wait though is an explanation of my shower. Details coming.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, just ran into your blog. I'm in Yamaguchi, too. What are you doing here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is up with the shower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick -- as far as the shower like I said, details to follow. I'm waiting on getting a camera, so I can illustrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jagaimogirl -- I'm here in Ube, teaching for NOVA. Been here a little under a week. Yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got a mamachari!! Cool~!

    you seem to be getting around a lot? coolness~! and if you really itchy for a keitai i heard you can get one with just a credit card if you want one bad enough. but i suppose thats annoying way. you'll have your gaijin card soon. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete