Monday, February 13, 2006

The middle of nowhere reveals its secrets (or lack thereof)

About two weeks ago I was talking with some students about Japanese history; I mentioned my interested in seeing Kofun and asked if there were any in Yamaguchi. He told me that there were some near Kottoi, I took down the name and planned a trip. Thursday last I set out with Beth, and after two and a half hours of train travel and our transfers we arrived. As we disembarked we found all the locals sitting around the front of the station waiting for a bus, and, as the vibe was not a friendly one, I demured from asking if they knew where as kofun around there was. Moreover, knowing nothing of the local area, we decided that taking a bus would not be in our best interest as we could end up up a creek sans paddle. So we chose a direction and set out on foot; we soon saw a sign saying that there was civilization a mere three kilometers down the way.
After a pleasant walk, in pleasant weather, circled by pleasant hawks we arrived in Kottoi-mura. I was quite hungry and we set out upon a search for resturants and found all three of them to be closed. After purchasing our food at a supermarket, I left and went outside to wait for Beth. She took an inordinate amount of time inside and when I questioned her on this she said, "As soon as you left the cashier started speaking to me in English." (Naturally I was confused by this, was I that intimidating, or did I merely leave too soon?) The cashier told her that the resturants, for some inexplicable reason, were closed until school got out for the day. Mustering what remained of my courage, and hope, I entered the post office and asked there about kofun. Nothing. We then walked back to the train station and took the train home. I have questions I need to ask the student that directed us to Kottoi.

Update (2/14):
So, I related my misadventure to some students in class today and after some initial confusion ("I went to Kottoi." "Eeeh? Why?"), it came out that the kofun and history museum I was promised in fact were located some twenty kilomenters south at Doigahama, which is also apparently a famous and incredibly beautiful beach town.

2 comments:

  1. neonvirus.com says... i wanna see those monolithic keyhole shaped thingmabobs too!!! :) ...todays keyword for posting is "raurmof" i like it, its likea swearword or something you say when your laughing hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT play poker with that student.

    ReplyDelete